Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it can be a challenge to find time in the mornings to make something that is both filling and nourishing. To help make sure that you start each day off right, we’re sharing a few interesting spins on an all-time breakfast favorite – oatmeal!
The oatmeal with which you are probably most familiar is old-fashioned, or rolled, oats. Shiloh Farms Organic Rolled Oats have a mild, nutty flavor and are ready in just 10 minutes. Plus, they are packed with nutrition, providing 40 grams of whole grain, 6 grams of protein, and 4 grams of fiber per serving!
Shiloh Farms Steel Cut Oats have a hearty, chewy texture that make them a great and filling food to kick-start your day. They offer even more fiber (5 grams) and whole grains (43 grams) per serving, but take longer to cook, which can be difficult first thing in the morning. To save time and keep things moving, we have a few tips to reduce the cook time for this delicious hot cereal:
- Sleep Tight: Soak the steel cut oats overnight. Before going to bed, boil 4 cups of water in a pot, turn off the heat and add 1 cup of oats. Cover the pot and leave to sit overnight. In the morning, reheat the oats over a low heat for 9-12 minutes.
- Pre-Toast: Place the steel cut oats in a preheated 300°F oven for approximately 20 minutes. Let cool and place the oats in a tightly covered container and store in a cool place. When you are ready to prepare your meal, the toasted oats will cook in half the time.
- Cut Corners: Place the oats, raw or pre-toasted, in a food processor. A few turns of the metal blade will break up the grains and reduce the cooking time by at least 5 minutes.
- Be Prepared: One trick is to prepare five days’ worth of steel cut oats in advance. This can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator and used as needed. To reheat, just add a serving of cooked oats and a little liquid to a pan, cover, and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
So what do you do once you have your oats cooked? While filling and nourishing, a plain bowl of oatmeal can be a little bland. However, it is a great base for layering other flavors and textures, so get creative! Here are a few our favorite oatmeal mix-ins that keep things interesting and ensure that no two bowls are exactly alike:
- Add 2 tablespoons of chopped Shiloh Farms Organic American Native Pecans (if you have extra time, we recommend toasting the nuts first to maximize their flavor), 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, and ½ of a banana, sliced.
- Add 2 tablespoons Shiloh Farms Organic Shredded Coconut, 1 tablespoon Shiloh Farms Organic Coconut Sugar, and 2 tablespoons chopped Shiloh Farms Organic Cashews (toasted to maximize their flavor).
- Add 1 tablespoon chopped Shiloh Farms Organic Sour Red Cherries, 1 tablespoon chopped Shiloh Farms Organic Pistachios (toasted to maximize their flavor), and 1 tablespoon Shiloh Farms Raw Alfalfa Honey.
Stir together and enjoy!