We all know that nuts taste great & are an excellent source of protein, fiber, & heart-healthy fatty acids. But have you ever considered just how versatile they are? Try some of our sweet & savory ideas:
• Toast nuts in a dry pan to enhance their natural flavor. Chop & sprinkle over smoothies, oatmeal, yogurt, or even ice cream!
• Make your own customized nut butter. Pulse in a food processor until a thick paste forms, then sweeten with honey & season with salt to taste. Have fun with the flavorings – try adding cocoa, cinnamon, or other spices!
• Puree nuts with fresh herbs, parmesan, & olive oil for a simple pesto to serve with pasta, top steamed vegetables, or spread on sandwiches. Go classic with pine nuts or experiment with walnuts, almonds, or even hazelnuts!
• Coarsely chop nuts & add to breadings for fish, chicken, or vegetables.
• Try homemade nut-milk: Soak nuts overnight, then puree with filtered water until smooth. Add a little salt & sweetener of choice to taste. Strain & enjoy!