Fall is in full swing! What better way to celebrate the crisp weather and changing leaves then an outing to a pumpkin patch? Pick out a ripe pumpkin (ripe pumpkins sound hollow when knocked) and take it home to make the tasty fall treat below. After removing the filling and seeds, carve up your pumpkin and you’ll have a jack-o-lantern all ready to go for Halloween!
TIP: Butternut squashes are also often available at pumpkin patches or your local grocery store and make a great substitution for pumpkin—their flesh tends to be less stringy, sweeter and easier to mash, and hollowed out gourds make beautiful fall decorations!
2 cups Shiloh Farms Organic Spelt Sprouted Flour
1 tbs. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ¼ cup Shiloh Farms Organic Maple Sugar, packed
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 cup Shiloh Farms Raw Walnuts, pieces
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together sprouted spelt flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In mixer bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in egg and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
5. Beat in pumpkin (mixture will look curdled).
6. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add in the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
7. Remove bowl from mixer and fold in walnuts.
8. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan and spread evenly.
9. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, until edges pull away from the sides of the pan.
10. Cool Blondies in the pan. Once cool, remove, cut and serve.