Did you know that today is a national day reserved to celebrate and enjoy one of America’s most treasured foods: Donuts?! It is truly a day to celebrate, if you ask us. Since this year’s holiday falls on another celebration we like to observe each week, Gluten-Free Friday, we’d like to share a recipe that we can enjoy for both days!
After delving into some of our favorite gluten-free blogs, we found the perfect and delicious combination of donut and gluten-free. Try this delightful recipe, which was adapted from the Detoxinista’s recipe (original recipe from Elana’s Pantry).
Gluten-Free Chocolate-Glazed Chocolate Donuts
Original Recipe Adapted from Elana’s Pantry
1/4 cup Shiloh Farms Gluten-Free Coconut Flour
1/4 cup Shiloh Farms Cocoa Powder
1/8 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup Shiloh Farms Allergen-Free Dark Chocolate Chips
2 tablespoons coconut oil
Shredded coconut (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a standard donut pan generously with coconut oil. In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, cocoa powder, sea salt and baking soda. Add in the eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla and whisk again until a uniform batter is created.
- Transfer the batter to a plastic storage bag, and snip off one corner of the bag with scissors, to create a “piping bag.” Pipe the batter evenly into the six donut wells.
- Bake the donuts for 18-20 minutes, until the dough has risen and is firm to the touch.
- Allow the donuts to cool for 15 minutes before gently removing from the pan. Allow the donuts to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare the chocolate glaze, combine the coconut oil and dark chocolate chips in a saucepan over low heat.
- One the glaze is liquid, remove from heat and dunk the donuts into the mixture. You can glaze more than once for a thicker glaze. You can also dip the donut into shredded coconut directly after dipping into the glaze for a delicious coconut flavor!
Take some time today to try this new recipe, celebrate a silly holiday and enjoy a donut for dessert!