Lauren’s Weekly Recipe
One of my favorite ways to pump myself full of vegetables is in a big colorful stir fry. I look at this bowl and see the ideal image of a healthy balanced meal, not to mention so flavorful!
A great way to add some extra protein and fiber into your ordinary sautéed vegetable dish is to add a serving of whole grain, such as quinoa. I actually prefer this grain over brown rice for its additional nutritional benefit and unique texture.
Stir fries are an excellent staple for a quick, tasty and healthy weeknight meal. Feel free to use the vegetables you have on hand or even go meatless for a vegetarian option. The quinoa will serve as a substantial source for your protein intake in this dish.
Italian Balsamic Stir Fry with Chicken Sausage and Kale
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup assorted bell peppers
- 1 Italian chicken sausage
- 1/2 cup cooked Shiloh Farms organic tri-color quinoa
- 1 cup steamed kale
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet and add all of the vegetables.
- Stir fry on medium high heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to brown and soften.
- Add the chicken sausage and garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the balsamic and dijon.
- Pour the balsamic over the vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Let this cook an additional 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Place cooked quinoa and kale in a bowl and pour the stir fry on top.
Enjoy more of Lauren’s recipes by checking our her blog; http://www.saywhatyouneedtosayblog.com/