Lauren’s Weekly Recipe
It’s a quandary that most people feel, especially around this time of year. We tend to by-pass any sustainable idea of wholesome cooking in order to ensure that anything edible can be digested before our next weeknight event.
I believe that people seem to associate the concept of healthy cooking with time consuming when in reality, preparing any type of meal is all what you put into it. It’s not always about the process of preparing but more the ingredients that are used.
One of my favorite staples when it comes to a multitude of dishes is quinoa. It really is a powerhouse grain, delivering more than 6 grams of protein and 4 grams of dietary fiber. It’s also gluten-free, contains 10 essential amino acids, and is low in sodium and high in calcium and iron.
Quinoa is a wonder food not only for its nutritional aspect, but also its versatility. It takes only 15 minutes to prepare and can be the base for an array of weeknight meals. I like to prepare a large batch and keep it on hand throughout the week to throw into salads, stir-fries and even yogurt parfaits.
This quinoa dish resulted on one of those “busy” middle-of-the-week evenings when dinner was just about to be compromised until I remembered I had some leftover red quinoa on hand, already cooked. I simply sautéed some vegetables, added a bit of roasted chicken and mixed it all with the quinoa. It turned out beautifully and was on the table in less than 20 minutes.
A perfect weeknight meal! Enjoy!
Quinoa with Yellow Squash, Roasted Chicken, Spinach, Corn and Tomatoes (serves 4)
- 1 cup cooked Shiloh Farms Organic Red Quinoa
- 12 oz of chicken breast, diced into large pieces
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 2 cups sliced yellow squash
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon agave
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare chicken. Season with 2 tsp of olive oil salt and pepper, place on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cooked.
- Prepare quinoa as directed.
- In a large skillet, sauté squash in 1 tsp of oil, salt and pepper for 5-6 minutes until squash begins to soften and brown.
- Add cooked quinoa, corn, and cherry tomatoes.
- Add cooked chopped chicken and spinach.
- In a small bowl, mix balsamic and agave.
- Pour dressing over skillet and mix to combine.
- Stir in feta cheese and let mixture cook for 1-2 minutes so the flavors incorporate.
Find more of Lauren’s yummy recipes at her blog: www.saywhatyouneedtosayblog.com