Are you looking to re-evaluate what you eat? Try adding these foods to your daily diet to ensure a healthier, happier belly…
- Eggs (preferably organic free-range)
- Green Vegetables
- Raw Nuts & Nut Meals
- Poultry (preferably grass fed)
- Olives & Olive Oil
- Non-wheat Grains (Flax Seed & Chia)
- Cocoa Powder
- Fish & Shellfish
Try this recipe from About.com that includes 4-5 out of the 10 ingredients above…
- 3 sprigs fresh sage or 1/2 tbsp. dried sage
- 4 c chicken stock (chicken broth, mushroom broth, or vegetable broth are all good substitutes)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil or butter (if not avoiding dairy)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 scallions or 1/2 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 12 oz. crimini or white mushrooms, cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 c Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese (optional)
- Roasted Chicken (optional)
- Heat chicken stock (and sage, if not using the dried mushrooms) in a saucepan over medium-high heat. When the stock comes to a boil, turn it down to a bare simmer.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil or butter over medium heat in a saucepan or saucier. Sauté garlic and scallions until golden. Add 1 more tbsp. olive oil and sauté rice until it begins to pick up some color. Add mushrooms (including the reconstituted dried mushrooms) and cook until they have given off most of their water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn heat down to medium-low. Add all mushroom liquid and one ladleful of chicken stock. Stir risotto thoroughly. If the liquid in the risotto is boiling very quickly, turn the heat down. The dish should cook gently and slowly.
- When the risotto has absorbed most of the liquid, add another ladleful of stock and stir thoroughly. Repeat this step until the rice does not seem to be absorbing more liquid and the grains are chewy and al dente to taste. Check for salt and pepper and season if necessary.
- To finish, grate Parmesan cheese (if using) over risotto. Any available fresh sage makes a nice garnish. Serve immediately.