Arugula, Blackberry, Bulgur Wheat, goat cheese, Lauren Podolsky, Lauren's Recipe of the Week, Peach Blackberry Arugula Salad with Bulgur Wheat and Goat Cheese, Peach Blackberry Arugula Salad with Bulgur Wheat and Goat Cheese recipe, Peaches, Salad, seasonal flavors, Shiloh Farms, Shiloh Farms Bulgur Wheat, South Central Pa, www.saywhatyouneedtosayblog.com
Lauren’s Recipe of the Week
Looking for another fantastic summer salad recipe to add to the books before the end of the season? Well then you’ve come to the right place.
It’s the middle of August and in South Central Pa, we are having an abundance of harvest from fresh local peaches. Peaches are being sold by the case at this point and people are getting to work making everything from pie to cobblers to jams.
While I’m not one to turn down a tasty peach inspired baked good, I like to think outside the box when it comes to using my ingredients.
This salad is perfect for a warm summer night and brings together such a melting pot of seasonal flavors and textures. If you’ve never tried bulgur wheat, you are missing out! What I love about this grain is that it’s hearty enough to use sparingly throughout salads to give an excellent nutty crunch. Nutritionally, it’s a great contender to many other ancient grains, packing in 5 grams of fiber and nearly 40 grams of whole grain per serving.
You can eat this salad on it’s own or pair it with a protein of choice for a well-balanced meal. I served mine over some perfectly grilled eggplant for a veggie friendly dinner.
Peach and Blackberry Arugula Salad with Bulgur Wheat and Goat Cheese
Makes 2 servings
- ¼ cup Shiloh Farms Bulgur Wheat
- 1 diced peach
- ¼ cup blackberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh torn basil
- ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 2 cups arugula
- Prepare Shiloh Farms Bulgur Wheat. Place ¼ cup of grains and ½ cup of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix ingredients for the dressing. Combine lemon juice, honey, basil and olive oil in a small dish. Add salt and pepper.
- When the bulgur is done cooking, set aside and cool. Place peach, berries, and grains in a large bowl. Add dressing and combine.
- Arrange arugula on a plate and top with the salad mixture. Crumble goat cheese on top.